The fourth edition of the car-free Sunday will take place in Zottegem on Sunday 18 September.
From 12.00 to 19.00 all central streets will be made completely car-free. The event attracts many visitors to the city center every year. This year, too, the City of Zottegem will be offering a varied program full of sporting, cultural and culinary activities for young and old. The crowd puller is the ‘wrong edition’ of the Rainbow Run.
“During the car-free Sunday, the Zottegemnaar can take over the center streets of our city. Every year, more than two million Belgians enjoy a day of car rest and streets full of activities. We are once again putting our best foot forward to let everyone enjoy the freedom of a car-free center. The extensive program offers something for everyone: sports and games, lots of culinary delights, a leisure market, music, fringe entertainment and much more.” says Alderman of the Environment Leen Goossens (CD&V).
Rainbow run: the wrong edition
“The crowd puller will undoubtedly again be the Rainbow Run, with start and finish at the Sablon. Last year, more than 500 participants braved the clouds of color powder. This year we are giving the run a bad look: keep it wrong, the better! Put on your worst outfit while walking and you might win prizes. The wrong DJ duo Fons & Alain, together with MC Papa, motivate all runners,” says Alderman Goossens. Four courses are planned this year: the traditional 2 km, 5 km or 10 km runs, and the new family run. On this new 1 km run, children under 10 years old will run with their parent(s). Along the course there are 6 color hot spots where the runners get color powder on them. As usual, there is also a lot of animation and music to give everyone a boost to reach the finish.”
Tickets for the Rainbow Run are available via webshop.zottegem.be and cost 5 euros per person or 8 euros for the family run (one adult + all children younger than 10 years of the family).
Range of activities
Also new this year is the youth and sports village. There will be several large attractions on De Heldenlaan, such as a children’s mill, mega adventure and trampoline park and a giant slide. Children also play to their heart’s content
with water balloons, stilts, roller skates, skipping ropes, hula hoops and sidewalk chalk. Can it be a little more active? Football players from U10 to seniors compete in the panna cage to become the panna king(s). For the panna cage must be registered in advance by e-mail to [email protected].
In addition, all well-known activities of the Zottegem car-free Sunday will also take place this year:
- leisure market (Heldenlaan): the link between the leisure market and the car-free Sunday turned out to be a great success last year. All exhibitors looked back with satisfaction and are completely ready for a new edition. During the leisure market, visitors discover the rich cultural, sports, youth and leisure offer in Zottegem. Communications Department: [email protected] – 09 364 64 65
- Foodtruckfestival: The Market is transformed into an atmospheric open-air restaurant where food trucks tantalize the taste buds with heavenly dishes and drinks. This in combination with a short chain market where visitors can discover sustainable products from their own region.
- Youth book sale (Campus Centrum on the Zavel): bookworms get to know the best books and the library reads the most exciting and funniest stories in the book caravan in collaboration with Route 42.
- Bicycle point (Stationsplein): children have fun on the crazy bike course. Cyclists can come here for minor repairs, to label their bicycle or to buy a second-hand bicycle. Sustainable mobility is also put in the spotlight.
- SABK builds on legs (Stationsstraat): teachers from the Municipal Academy of Visual Arts build bamboo towers and bridges together with children. They also get creative: they draw and paint freely by transforming pieces of fabric into real flags for their high bamboo towers.
- Music and fringe animation (De Markt): the Municipal Academy for Music, Word and Dance will provide a number of special acts. There are various demos and performances on the stage at De Markt, culminating in the crazy performance of Ze Quaffeurs at 5 p.m.: a 12-piece wind band that will undoubtedly continue the wrong party of the Rainbow Runners. There will also be a photo booth where visitors can capture the memory of a beautiful day.
“We are counting down to this fourth edition of the Zottegem car-free Sunday. It will undoubtedly be another fantastic folk festival.” decision mayor Evelien De Both (N-VA). “We will make all streets car-free from 10 a.m. until 7 p.m. The car parks in the car-free zone will also not be accessible for security reasons. This way everyone can enjoy a car-free day in the heart of our Egmont city. We also call
everyone to go to the center on foot or by bike as much as possible.”
Tickets for the Rainbow Run via webshop.zottegem.be (5 euros or 8 euros) – all other activities are free. The city center will be car-free on Sunday, September 18 from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., with a parking ban from 10 a.m. that day. The car-free zone is located between the railway (station) and Meerlaan. The buses move to the back of the station. AZ Sint-Elisabeth can be reached via Broeder Mareslaan and Godveerdegemstraat.