Funny cars for the city were once built here, now it is the largest factory of the brand in Europe.
On September 27, 1973, the first car rolled off the line at the brand new BMW factory – it was a 520 in Iberian Red. From that moment to the present, the factory has become the birthplace of many millions of cars, but vehicles were created here many years before that.
It was originally a company of the Hans Glas GmbH car company, whose roots go back to 1883 to the production of agricultural machinery. It moved to Dingolfing in 1908, dropped the production of sowing machines after the Second World War due to the lack of interest of customers, and instead threw itself into scooters, the Goggomobil family of compact cars, the Isar model and other cars with four-digit designations. The most beautiful car was the Glas V8, which was also called the Glaserati, but it was created after 1967, when the manufacturer was bought by BMW.
At the end of the 1960s, the Glas brand ends and the BMW factory with the official name 02.40 is later established on the site of its factory. The factory now has 12,000 employees and several hundred apprentices. It is made up of a system of ten factories, which, in addition to the car production plant, also include the production of chassis and drive components, the Rolls-Royce body shop, spare parts and warehouses. Almost two-thirds of the production volume is the BMW 5 series, the 4, 6, 7, 8 series and the iX and M models are also produced here.